May 2003 to
Softpress Systems Limited.
- Software customer for Freeway web design software.
- Maintaining and adding to the Knowledge Base
- Moderating Freeway Talk mailing list
- Monitoring the mailserver & backup
February 2003 to April 2003
IT Support (Contract)
Valspar Industries (UK) Ltd. Abingdon.
- Network / Server Support (NT4, Exchange 5.5) & Backups (Arcserve)
- Applications support (SAS, Microsoft Office)
- Hardware Support (Dell Desktop PCs)
- Involved with some ongoing projects - SAS & SMS communications, Webhosting, Server builds and Software relocation from one server to another..
- Telephone support (Avaya Site Administrator)
June 2002 to July 2002
Helpdesk Support (1 Month Contract)
Oxfordshire Healthcare Support Services
- Desktop and Application support
October 1997 to May 2002
Helpdesk Support Analyst
Elsevier Science Ltd, Kidlington.
- Networked desktop operating systems and applications support:
- Windows 3.1x, Windows 9x, Windows NT4 Workstation, Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP, incl. RAS and SMS delivered support and updates at both 1st line and second line levels.
- MS Office Pro (97/2000/XP), Internet Explorer, Netscape, MS Frontpage and other common Internet applications and development packages. Also some experience on Novell Groupwise, Wordperfect 6 , plus Lotus applications (123 & Notes) at both 1st line and second line levels.
- Installation and patching of network communications equipment (3Com)
- Desktop software installations & PC hardware upgrades
- Netware 4.1x & NT4/ Exchange server administration (Exchange 5.x & 2000)
- Network Patching and fault finding
- Helpdesk call logging & 1st line telephone support and resolution
- User Training on a number of applications, including: Open Pursuit (helpdesk call logging system), MS Word, MS FrontPage and MS Outlook
- Elsevier Intranet Non Solus maintenance and update of the IT Support Intranet pages
September 1997 to October 1997
Network/Desktop Technical Support
School of Languages, Oxford Brookes University
- Netware 3.1x administration and PC client support Norton Administrator for Networks/HP Openview Desktop Administrator & PC Anywhere
- Hardware upgrades hard disks and multi-media kits
- Windows 95 installation automated set-up using custom ..inf scripts
- Desktop application support Office 97 Pro, Pegasus Mail for Windows, Netscape, MS Internet Explorer
August 1997 to September 1997
PC User Support
Oxford Brookes University English Language Summer School
- Applications support for a multi-national group of over 270 students using common Internet applications and (then) current versions of Microsoft Office
March 1997 to May 1997
Pitney Bowes Finance, London
- Logging helpdesk calls
- Microsoft & Lotus desktop support
- PC hardware technical support
- Netware 4.1x user administration
November 1996 to March 1997
Otaku Publishing, London
- Database system specification and design
- Data entry
- Maintaining company accounts
- Beta testing new software
December 1995 to Nov 1996 Office Co-ordinator
Continuum Europe, Oxford
Made redundant due to Oxford Office closure
- Netware 3.1x system administration
- Desktop OS and applications installation Windows 3.1x , Windows 95, MS Office Pro 4.3, Lotus WordPro, MS development tools, ARC Solo backup software
- Hardware upgrades - RAM, multi-media kits, and NIC swapouts
- Design and implementation of office LAN backup strategy
- Production of development project reports, using MS Office Pro under both Windows 3.1x and Windows 95.
- Creating Windows Help files for in-house software under development for a financial institution
- Time sheet supervision
- Maintaining shared office diary & monitoring petty cash flow
Qualifications & Training:
Official Microsoft curricula followed between 1997 and 2002:
MS Windows 2000 Network Essentials
Administering Windows NT 4
Installing and supporting MS Office 97
Supporting Windows 95
Windows 95 Express (Aris Education, Oxford)
Interpersonal Skills (Elsevier)
Assertive Skills (Elsevier)
April 2001 Certificate of Technical Support Skills
(Institute of IT Training)
March 1993 Pitmans Intermediate Typing.
(Heart of England TEC, Oxford)
June 1992 Certificate in Higher Education, studying Computing & Educational Studies at degree level.
(Oxford Polytechnic/ Oxford Brookes University)
July 1988 BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studies
(Stroud College of Further Education)
July 1986 O levels: English (B), Physics (C), History (C) CSE: Maths (grade 1)
(Marling Grammer School, Stroud)
Creative writing, equestrian sports, traditional folk music, playing the violin, hockey, hiking, computer applications and the Internet.
Mr Matt Bassett
Valspar Industries (UK) Ltd.
152 Milton Park
OXFORD OX14 4SD
Mr Mark Gibbons
School of Languages
Oxford Brookes University
Gipsy Lane Campus
OXFORD OX3 0BP